Saturday, March 24, 2012

Vindication or Salvation?

Jennifer Henderson

Psalm 43
Exodus 2:23-3:15
In Psalm 43, David’s plea expresses his inner feelings to the Lord, “Vindicate me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation; rescue me from deceitful and wicked men . . .(Psalm 43:1).

It’s a common scenario that exists in real life for anyone whose circle of interaction goes beyond the borders for their closest and best friends. There is that one person who is intent, for whatever reason, on destroying your happiness, your contentment, your joy in recent success. Perhaps they are merely driven by a subconscious jealously of your positive life events, when their own situation is less than what they wish it to be. One doesn’t have to be innately wicked to spoil the joy of other people. It happens in churches.

It happens in schools. It happens through social media. It even happens among strangers. And it makes us feel like even God has rejected us.

“You are God my stronghold. Why have you rejected me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy? Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell” (v. 2-3).

At such times we may feel utterly helpless and alone. We crave the physical presence of God and reassurance that He is still with us and caring for us. We beg. We plead. We attempt to wait patiently for some sign that we are okay and that it is others who are in the wrong. We long for proof to be shown to others that we are, indeed, special to our Heavenly Father and that they are the ones in error.

But often, the fault lies not so much within the actions and reactions that we have towards one another. Sometime we merely fail to remember that not everything that we think and feel is reflective of Truth. And we do not even know where these thoughts and feelings originate which lead to our sense of low self-worth or self-deprecation.

“Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?“ (v. 5a).

Exodus 2 tells of a very low point in the history of the Israelites. Enslaved, persecuted, the children of God felt anything but special. Beaten down, oppressed and seemingly forgotten, the truth of the matter was this: “The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God. God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them” (Exodus 2:23-25). In fact, He was so concerned about them that he chose to raise up a leader and rescuer, Moses, for the people. And over and over again God showed them how much He loved them and cared for them.

Perhaps, like David, we exist in a place where we feel that vindication is in order. Old fashioned “come to Jesus” vindication. Perhaps we feel that God is not aware, or not listening to us. But He is. And He stands ready to help in ways we cannot even imagine. Ways that will hopefully, not only benefit us, but benefit and bring about salvation to our enemies.

I want to be proved right. I want to be cleared of all negative suspicions. But perhaps God has a loftier goal for my suffering. Perhaps he wants me to learn to live gracefully through the difficult times in such a way that others will ultimately seek to know the One that holds me in His hand. Perhaps he intends to build character in me through my suffering and help me to develop a sense of self-worth and confidence that is a truer reflection of the way God values me. “Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God” (Psalm 43:5b).

Prayer: Lord, help us to focus on your love for us and be open to the events which will unfurl during Holy Week. Help us to be patient in our sufferings and only desire the salvation of others for your sake, rather than vindication for our own sakes.

Jennifer Henderson, an active member of the Church of Christ, is choir director at First Presbyterian Church, Searcy, Arkansas. She is married to Allen Henderson.

No comments: