Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Not So Fast, Paul!

1 Corinthians 7:32-40
As a happily married man I find Paul’s words to the church in Corinth to be interesting. “The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord; but the married man is anxious about the affairs of the world, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided” (1 Corinthians 7:32b-34a). Now I will admit that I am concerned about a number of things, among them living up to the expectations of my family. But I can not in all honesty claim that were I single my concerns would all be focused on God. I know myself better than that; there would always be something for me to worry about.

It is not that I believe Paul is wrong necessarily. Relationships--and especially marriages--do lead us to new levels of concern and even anxiety. There are a whole host of things that I deal with now that I did not face when I was single. Add children to the mix and the list grows even longer. But committed relationships based on mutual love and regard are among the most profound blessings one may receive in life. When taken seriously and nurtured with care close friendships, marriages, and families each offer their own benefits and help us to carry much of the pain and sorrow of life.

Were I unmarried I am sure that my anxiety would still be split between the Lord and any number of other matters. So, all things being equal, I will count myself richly blessed to be in a loving relationship, one that helps me to make sense of my life and to be a better person, one that also helps me to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ.

Prayer: Lord, help us to live our lives in mutual love and support so that together we may deal with the pain of life and give glory to you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: