Friday, March 2, 2012

Learning To Be a Fool

1 Corinthians 3:16-23
I admit that I don't like to look silly. Maybe I have too high an opinion of myself but I really don't like the idea of people laughing at me. So I try to avoid situations where I appear foolish. Unfortunately Paul is pretty clear in his words to the church at Corinth. "Do not deceive yourselves. If you think that you are wise in this age, you should become fools so that you may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God" (1 Corinthians 3:18-19a).

Much of what the Christian faith leads us to do seems like utter nonsense to the world. We have been called to a higher standard of love, compassion, generosity, and obedience than would seem necessary in this life. And frankly, from a self-centered perspective we are fools to care so much about others, to give so much of ourselves to God, and to be willing to lay down our lives. But to follow Jesus Christ is to quit worrying about how we appear and instead to focus on what we know to be true, that in the life, death, and resurrection of our Savior we find help for this life and hope for the life to come.

In grace God has offered us a better way. If that is foolishness, so be it.

Prayer: O Lord, give us the strength to live according to your will and not by the standards of the world. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Note: Check back tomorrow for the second of our "guest blogger" posts, this one by HK Stewart.

No comments: