Monday, March 26, 2012

Looking At Our Shoes

Mark 9:30-41
“Then they came to Capernaum; and when he was in the house he asked them, ‘What were you arguing about on the way?’ But they were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another who was the greatest. He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, ‘Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all’” (Mark 9:33-35). Clearly Jesus realized what had been going on among the disciples. I can just imagine him giving a huge sigh, and saying “Okay, let’s go over this again…” And there were the disciples, all looking sheepish and suddenly finding something interesting about their sandals to look at.

But then I imagine myself and my own denser moments, the times when I can’t seem to get it right, when I stumble in my own faith and my own commitment. And I think about the times that I’ve studied my own footwear rather than meet God’s gaze. And I hear God saying, “Okay, Jim, let’s go over this again…” Grace is a funny thing, really, because it is wonderful beyond measure, but when we consider what it means it can also be very humbling. In Jesus Christ God has offered us the gift of hope, the gift of peace, the gift of life. The humbling part comes when we don’t accept it or otherwise neglect it. And there we are, looking at our shoes again.

May this day be filled with love and grace for all of us. May it be a day of accepted challenges and faith-filled acts of generosity and love. May it be a day of hope and peace and life. And when the evening comes may we finally notice our shoes, but only as we take them off for the night.

Prayer: Lord, forgive us when we fail you, and help us to live as you would have us to do. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: