Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Season For Endorsements

John 1:29-42
As the process that leads to the election of the President of the United States continues to heat up we will begin to hear more and more endorsements or pledges of support for one candidate or another. Coincidentally that is exactly what John the Baptist is doing in our gospel reading for today. “And John testified, ‘I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on (Jesus). I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, “He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.” And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God’" (John 1:32-34).

“This is the Son of God.” Now there is an unambiguous statement of faith, and it comes from a man who had attracted the attention of even the most devout of religious leaders of his day. “I’m not the one,” John was saying, “but I know who he is, and I know what he has been sent to do. Believe in him.”

During this season of endorsements may we as people of faith add our voices to that of John the Baptist. Let us say with conviction, “This is the Son of God.” But more than saying the words, let us live them; let us point to Jesus Christ with our actions as well that the world may come to know and believe in the mercy of God as revealed in God’s Son.

Prayer: Lord, may our lives be dedicated to your service and may we bear witness to your Son Jesus Christ in all that we do. Amen.

No comments: