Monday, January 9, 2012

Prayer Is a Big Deal

Psalm 5
One of the morning psalms for today addresses God this way: “Give ear to my words, O Lord; give heed to my sighing. Listen to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you I pray. O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch” (Psalm 5:1-3). Like so many others psalms, this one is a prayer, but it is also a description of prayer. The psalmist speaks, sighs, cries, prays, pleads, and watches. Prayer, in this case, is far from passive and certainly not limited to perfunctory blessings at mealtime. It is an activity that subsumes the entire person and requires full attention. To pray like the psalmist in Psalm 5 is to be fully engaged and fully attentive. Nothing else will do but to gives oneself completely to the effort.

I have recently discovered the poetry of Mark Jarman. In his poem “Five Psalms” he writes:

First forgive the silence
That answers prayer,
Then forgive the prayer
That stains the silence.

Excuse the absence
That feels like presence,
Then excuse the feeling
That insists on presence.

Pardon the delay
Of revelation,
Then ask pardon for revealing
Your impatience.

Forgive God
For being only a word,
Then ask God to forgive
The betrayal of language.

(http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/241978)

There is a seriousness in the give and take of Jarman’s prayer that requires attention. One does not quickly fire off an appeal to God like a divine text message. Instead, prayer is hard work that involves the full mind and spirit, that recognizes God’s presence in the conversation and the total inadequacy of the one who prays. The relationship may appear equally balanced, but that is only because God lowers the divine self into that position.

If you are like me your prayers are far less serious than they should be. If you are like me there are way too many abbreviated “shopping list” prayers offered and far too few hours devoted to the hard work of meaningful conversation. As people of faith, however, we are charged with the responsibility of conversing with God, on behalf of ourselves and of others. It is, ultimately, worth the effort.

Prayer: Lord, forgive our inadequacy in prayer. Help us to approach you with respect and attentiveness that our words may have true meaning and our hearts be filled with the knowledge of your presence. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

1 comment:

Cookie said...

Jim, Jimmy to me,I used to think all of my prayers should be for other people less fortunate than myself. I thought they should be selfless.I would ask for forgiveness, but not for things. I now still pray like that, but I have learned to also pray for myself. I pray for peace, comfort,help,and many other things that only God can do.I pray that I be patient and let Thy will and not my will be done and that things happen in God's time and not mine. We all have to face sorrow in our lives but I pray,beg, God to please let me heal from Mark's death before I have to face another sorrow in my life. Love you and thanks for listening. Your cousin "Cookie"