Thursday, January 5, 2012

Prayers, Please

Ephesians 6:10-20
As a preacher and one who is often called upon to minister to those in need I was drawn to a verse in Ephesians today. “Pray also for me,” it says, “so that when I speak, a message may be given to me to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel…” (Ephesians 6:19). This should be a constant request from all ministers, all chaplains, all preachers, all priests, all those seeking ordination. All of us depend on the gifts of the Spirit to fulfill our calling. All of us require God’s strength and God’s grace. To pray for one who ministers is to ask God to sustain him or her in the work being done. So by all means, please pray for me.

But in truth the words of Ephesians 6:19 should be on the lips of all believers. As members of the body of Christ we have been sent into the world to offer our witness to the grace and love of our God, to point to the good news that has come to us and that all people need to hear. May all of us, clergy and laity alike, be given words to speak concerning the “mystery of the gospel” and may we receive the boldness we need to speak with conviction and with clarity. Perhaps the common greeting shared between Christians should be “pray for me. Pray that God gives me words to speak. Pray that God gives me the courage to speak them. Pray that God leads me in right paths so that I may demonstrate the gospel in all that I do. Pray for me, please.” And having greeted one another in such a way we should then set ourselves to the task.

Prayer: Lord, grant all of your people a message of hope for the world and give them all the confidence they need to share it. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: