Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Is That Really Necessary?

Ephesians 4:17-32
“Thieves must give up stealing; rather let them labor and work honestly with their own hands, so as to have something to share with the needy” (Ephesians 4:28). When I read this verse I always chuckle to myself. This may be the most obvious admonition to be found in all of scripture. Did the author of Ephesians really need to tell us that stealing is wrong? Not if we’ve been paying attention to the rest of the Bible. But then we arrive at the next verse, “Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear” (v. 29), and I begin to get antsy.

Theft is wrong–and obviously so–but what we say about and to one another often falls into a grey area; or so we’d like to think. Politicians call it “pointing out distinctions” between themselves and their opponents. Groups and organizations based on hate or racism offer their viewpoints in crass terms called “protected speech.” A joke told at a party, a comment made to a coworker, a bit of gossip shared at a potluck supper all pass as “polite conversation.” Few of us would ever endorse theft, but depriving others of their dignity is just as bad and robbing a community of its cohesion is no better. The problem is that while I can see what it means to steal I don’t always choose to see what harm I’m doing by what I say. The author of Ephesians offers me no room to wiggle. Theft and the use of language lie side by side and challenge me to take my actions seriously.

I feel confident that I will not steal today, but what words will I use and what language will I convey? Evil is evil, but perhaps the subtle wrongs are the ones to be feared most for they are the ones we have the most trouble avoiding.

Prayer: Lord, help us to live lives of faith and truth today and always. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: