Thursday, February 10, 2011

Where Are They Now?

2 Timothy 2:14-26
I can’t help but wonder whatever came of Hymenaeus and Philetus. All we seem to know about them is that they had “swerved from the truth” (2 Timothy 2:18) and were spreading fall truths about the resurrection. Were they ever set right? Did they repent and return to the community of faith, or did they drift further apart until they were lost completely? We are introduced by name to so few believers in the New Testament that it would be interesting to know for sure what happened to them all.

The history of the Christian faith, of course, is filled with name after name after name of men and women from various times and cultures and nationalities, some who have remained strong in the faith and some, like Hymenaeus and Philetus, who drifted away into false teachings. I am aware that my own faith, my own sense of belonging to God is heavily dependant on those who have come before me, who set a good example for me to follow, and who provided a legacy by which I might be blessed. It was not always easy for them to live in faith, and it has not always been easy for me. But I pray by God’s grace that I may set a good example and help provide a legacy for those who will come after me.

Meanwhile, I continue to wonder about the likes of Hymenaeus and Philetus, what became of them, how they ended up. I hope they were guided back from their error, that they were blessed to be a part of the church throughout their lives. We all have a role to play in the faith. May we strive to set good examples to the glory of God and not negative ones.

Prayer: Lord, may we serve you faithfully, sharing the truth of the gospel and calling others to the joy found in you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: