Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hey, Over Here!

Isaiah 65:1-12
One of our dogs escaped briefly from the backyard this morning. I became aware of the situation when I heard our son calling the dog to come out from under the neighbor’s deck, which she did eventually. Then I read our passage from Isaiah for today and I now have a mental image of God, arms outstretched, calling a wayward people to come home. But the people are more interested in what is to be found elsewhere, among other gods and religions, in places they should not go, so they are slow to respond. “I was ready to be sought out by those who did not ask,” says God through the prophet, “to be found by those who did not seek me. I said, ‘Here I am, here I am,’ to a nation that did not call on my name” (Isaiah 65:1).

Yesterday we read about God hardening hearts. Today we encounter God doing anything but. How poignant it is to think of God calling and no one responding. God who wants so badly to claim us and to care for us must first convince US to trust God! On my best days I believe I do think about what it means to seek God and to respond to God’s work in my life. But on those other days I am too much like a wayward Scottie, crouching under the neighbor’s deck, wanting to go places I know I should not go and do things that I know are not appropriate. “Here I am,” says God. “Come home.” And I know that God means it, and I know that in Jesus Christ God demonstrated the measure of divine love once and for all. I’m so glad that God keeps calling, that God remains concerned for us. I’m so glad that there is a way home and that even if we return as prodigals the Father waits to receive us in love and mercy.

God’s hands are outstretched. God’s call is heard throughout the land. May we always strive to respond. May we always do our best to go home.

Prayer: Lord, forgive us when we wander and seek a false sense of freedom. Help us to hear your call and to respond in trust. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: