Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Here are some thoughts I have based on the readings for today from the Daily Lectionary. We are currently in Year 1, the 3rd week of Lent. Quotatations are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible.

Jeremiah 8:4-7, 18-9:6-- Verses 8:22-9:1 say "Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why then has the health of my poor people not been restored? O that my head were a spring of water, and my eyes a fountain of tears so that I might weep day and night for the slain of my poor people!" God's poor people--Judah-- have within their grasp the power to be restored. It is God's word which is just as close and personal to them as the resin of the Styrax tree, a healing ointment. Incidentally, this morning my wife said she was very happy to be reminded that there is a balm in Gilead. I guess that would be her verse for the day from Jeremiah as well.

Romans 5:1-11--I've underlined vs. 3-5: "And not only that, but we also boast in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts thought the Holy Spirit that has been given to us." This whole chapter is powerful, but this portion on finding hope in the struggles we face is especially moving to me.

I'm not crazy about John 8:12-20. (I notice we skipped the woman caught in adultery.) But vs. 12 is helpful: "Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.'" Sometimes I find myself in some pretty dim places. It is good to know that Jesus is the light that can lead me home!

No comments: