Thursday, March 29, 2007

Conflict in the Temple

Jim:
What struck me in the readings this morning was the similarity in the conflict that Jeremiah and Jesus face because of things they said in or near the temple.

Jeremiah 26:1-24
Jeremiah's "temple sermon" is a message of warning to the people delivered in the court of the Lord's house. In verses 4-6 it says, "Thus says the Lord: If you will not listen to me, to walk in my law that I have set before you, and to heed the words of my servants the prophets whom I send to you urgently––though you have not heeded––then I will make this house like Shiloh, and I will make this city a curse for all the nations of the earth." (The shrine at Shiloh was destroyed much earlier, in the days of Samuel.) This message of course puts Jeremiah at odds with the religious establishment who put him on trial for heresy. They believe they have God’s blessing and protection.

John 10:19-42
Jesus, too, is confronted by the religious establishment for his comments. In verse 30 Jesus says, "The Father and I are one." At that point "The Jews took up stones again to stone him." (v. 31) God's word, especially when it runs contrary to long-held assumptions, is not always welcomed by those who hear it. My concern as a preacher is twofold: first, is what I say (and do) true to God's will or just what I think others want to hear? And second, am I willing to accept the consequences of those words when I speak them?

Romans 11:1-12
In Romans Paul shows how God's grace can take unexpected forms. In verse 12 he says, "Now if their (the people of Israel's) stumbling means riches for the world, and if their defeat means riches for Gentiles, how much more will their full inclusion mean!" God is working through Israel, says Paul, in order to bring the world to God. Israel, then, continues to be a source of blessing for the world, even in unexpected ways.

No comments: