Wednesday, March 28, 2007

All About Shepherds

Jim:
The contrast between the shepherds and the lords of the flock in Jeremiah and the good shepherd in John is perhaps the connection that strikes me today.

Jeremiah 25:30-38
This is a brutal description of what God intends to do to the nations. As a result the shepherds and lords of the flocks (meaning kings and rulers of the peoples) will be thrown into confusion. Verse 36 says, "Hark! the cry of the shepherds, and the wail of the lords of the flock! For the Lord is despoiling their pasture…" This is because God "is entering into judgment with all flesh, and the guilty he will put to the sword…" (verse 31) This is not a pretty picture.

John 10:1-18
But John tells of another kind of shepherd. "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." (verse 11) "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord." (verse 18) Ultimately this is God's response to the sinfulness of God's people. And it comes as a blessing, even if it was not understood or well-received by all who heard it.

Romans 10:14-21
I picked verses 14 and 15 to highlight in this passage: "But how are they to call on one in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in one of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone to proclaim him? And how are they to proclaim him unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'" The reading from Jeremiah would not qualify as "good" news, but the reality of God's response as characterized by the good shepherd in John is the very best of good news (gospel). The tension in the Romans reading lies in the fact that God's people have heard the news but not all have accepted it. Still God's grace abounds and the feet of the messenger are indeed beautiful because he or she brings news of salvation.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I’m not going to comment much on the Jeremiah passage today, because it's scary and hard. :-) But, here are some thoughts on the Romans and John passages. I was inspired by the call to evangelism in the Romans passage. The past few days we have been reading about election and grace through faith. Romans 9:19-33 (reading for Monday) focused on the sovereignty of God. Paul tells us that God calls whom he chooses, and some may not be called. And, that it is God’s will (not ours) that will be done. Yesterday’s reading tells us that the Lord is generous to all who call on his name. It tells us that God’s grace is real and present for all those who proclaim their beliefs. Paul says, “For one believes with the heart and so is justified, and one confesses with the mouth and so is saved.”

Sometimes, when I think about God’s chosen people and God’s sovereignty, I can find myself wondering why we need to spread the good news and why we should bother to evangelize at all. If God knew us before we were conceived and had plans for us before that time...what is the point in praying for the salvation of a friend or sharing the gospel with others? Either they are among the elect, or they are not…right? But in today’s reading, Paul really addresses this question (I’m not sure he answers it completely, at least for me, but he addresses it). He says, “[14] But how are they to call on one in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in one of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone to proclaim him? [15] And how are they to proclaim him unless they are sent?” To me, this sounds like a passionate call to evangelism. He goes on to say, “So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ.” Wow! Faith comes from what is heard. From this perspective, sharing the good news becomes an essential part of the equation. Not only sharing the news with adults who have never heard it before (or who have heard it their whole lives and not accepted it), but also teaching our children, and challenging ourselves. It is a key component of Christian Education, as well as evangelism...for the more we hear, the greater our faith can grow. Perhaps faith is something that is implanted in us by our creator (or maybe, the capacity to attain faith), or perhaps it is something else all together that distinguishes God’s people. But even those who are believers can grow and strengthen their faith by hearing the word of Christ. It all ties together...hearing the word proclaimed in worship, studying the word in classes and personal devotions, sharing the word within our community, and spreading the word to others. They are all ways to build our own faith, as well as inspire others to believe. I appreciate Paul’s call to evangelism...the call to be beautiful feet that bring the good news.

The John passage is full or wonderful imagery that is very special to me. I am particularly drawn to verse 14, “I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me.” This verse speaks to me, in part, because of how it fits into the “God’s chosen people” thing that I am wrestling with, but also because of the comfort that it brings. It reminds me of a motherhood experience. Most people have heard that babies, even the tiniest infants, know and respond to their mother’s voice. It is amazing to hold an infant that can barely open his eyes and can’t really see at all, but turns towards his mother and seeks her out by the sound of her voice. The child knows his mother, even at their first meeting, and he draws comfort from the mother’s words. That is what I think of when I hear, “I know my own and my own know me.”

Unknown said...

Thanks, Megan. Your thoughts, especially those on Romans, are very helpful to hear. I agree that we have a role to play in spreading the good news, and it is a role that the Protestant faith has taken very seriously over the years. It's one reason why so much emphasis has been placed on education as far back as Calvin and Knox, so that everyone can read scripture and understand its meaning for their lives. But as I said in my meditation at last night's service, who ultimately is chosen or called is entirely up to God. We can and should plant the seeds, but God gives the growth, and God can and does call whomsoever God will. So it is a matter of faithful obedience on our part, and the grace that abounds on God's part.