Monday, October 17, 2011

Make Up Your Mind Already!

Matthew 11:16-24
Jesus’ frustration is obvious on a number of occasions in scripture. Our reading from the gospel today is one example. Jesus said, “For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon’; the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’” (Matthew 11:18-19). How slow we are to accept that which does not fit our own view of things! As I look at the church today, including my own denomination, I see conflict and confrontation on all sides. It is not enough to acknowledge “One Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all…” (Ephesians 4:5-6). Even a cool form of civility would be better than the disdain we have for one another.

“What do you want?” Jesus wonders. “What more can God do to earn your faithful obedience? You said that John the Baptist was crazy, but then you say that I am promiscuous. Make up your minds! Which way is it going to be?”

When I read Jesus’ words I am convicted: I am more a part of the problem than the solution. I carry grudges, assign blame, make excuses, and find ways to avoid God’s call for unity. May God both forgive me and lead me to change. In the mean time I feel a strong sense of call in my ministry to hold myself and others accountable for the blessings we have received, for the responsibilities that we share, and for the unity that God—what’s a good word here?—demands. If you feel that there is far too much finger pointing and too little responsibility-taking, if you feel that it has become too popular to break covenant with one another instead of praying with and learning from each other, if you feel that Jesus’ lament has been too long ignored, then you and I, whoever you are, must acknowledge that we have something in common. Then we must listen seriously to Jesus’ words again and again and again until it all sinks in.

Faith really isn’t about what we want! It is about what God wants!

Prayer: Lord, forgive me when I fail you by failing your people. Help me learn to obey your will. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

No comments: