Friday, June 17, 2011

When God Walks In

1 Samuel 3:1-21
I’m impressed by Samuel’s courage. According to tradition he would have been about 12 years old when the events recounted in 1 Samuel 3 took place. We also know that “Samuel did not yet know the Lord, and the word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him” (1 Samuel 3:7). Then we are told this: “Now the Lord came and stood there, calling as before, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’” (v. 10a). Think about others who have been in the presence of God, like Adam and Eve who were so frightened that they hid themselves as God walked in the garden, like Ezekiel who passed out at the sight of God by the Chebar canal in Babylon, like Peter, James, and John who only heard the voice of God during the transfiguration but who were terrified. But when the Lord stood in the temple and called his name, Samuel was able to listen to God without shaking (at least as far as we know) and that impresses me.

I have never had an experience like the one described by 1 Samuel. I have never felt that God was so close as to be standing nearby. If that were to happen I believe I would be terrified. Not because I fear God so much as I know, not only my unworthiness, but also the glory of God. The two do not mix well and I’d be afraid of causing some sort of explosion, like matter and anti-matter colliding. But Samuel was willing for God to stand near, was willing to listen to what God said, and I believe that takes courage. No wonder Samuel grew to become a great prophet, one whose words would never “fall to the ground.” The relationship between God and Samuel was one of trust and openness, of child-like curiosity in the face of God’s majesty and splendor.

I know God is with me, and that God works in and through my life. But I am not able to think about God standing nearby without becoming a bit edgy. Perhaps this is a sign that I need to be more open with God.

Prayer: God of majesty and might, you have called us to be your people and have spoken your word to us. Help us to hear it and to live accordingly, with trust and openness. Amen.

No comments: