Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Forging a New Community

Luke 23:1-12
The portion of Jesus’ passion contained in Luke 23:6-12 is unique to this gospel. One line from that story is particularly interesting. “That same day Herod and Pilate became friends with each other; before this they had been enemies” (Luke 23:12). It would appear that in their contempt for Jesus these two men found a reason for friendship, for a new community of sorts.

This got me to thinking about the various communities in which I am engaged. One is the neighborhood in which I live, of course. But there are other ways of identifying me, some of which serve group with others. I tend to support a political party which puts me in one sort of community. I am a minister which gives me another. I am of a particular race, gender, socio-economic standing, and age all of which give me communities with which to relate. The schools I have attended give me communities. And I am on Facebook and write this blog, each of which create electronic networks for me. It would be virtually impossible for me to live without connections, without some sort of community. Pilate and Herod found a basis for friendship in their shared disdain for Jesus. I do not knowingly associate with anyone so avowed anti-Christian. But there are groups, communities, if you will, whose purposes are contrary to the call to discipleship and faith. And while I do not advocate isolation or separatism, I do believe we need to carefully examine our habits and our relationships to see what they say about us, about our faith, about our devotion to God.

The church, the body of Christ at work in the world, can be both the most fulfilling and the most frustrating of all communities. Within the context of faith men and woman are trained, encouraged, sent forth, and asked to share from their resources in support of the church’s work. But no group of people is perfect, and when the church demonstrates its fallibility it can be very disheartening. Still, the church is the best sort of community with which to participate because it is the only one truly established by God to do God’s will.

So let’s enjoy our relationships and celebrate the imperfect community we have found in Jesus Christ. Let’s be united in our efforts to serve, not in our desire to ridicule or tear apart.

Prayer: Lord, bring us together in your love and help us to find community in your fellowship. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: