Monday, June 27, 2011

Dying Gracefully

Note: My original spelling for the title of this entry, "Dieing Gracefully", proved to be problematic, so I have changed it to a more acceptable spelling.

Acts 7:44-8:1a
Stephen, recently ordained a deacon by the early church, had gotten himself into trouble. But when he was brought before the authorities he chose not to defend himself so much as to offer his witness about the good news of Jesus Christ. In doing so Stephen became one of the earliest of martyrs for the faith. Yet as he died Stephen refused to condemn his killers. “While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, ‘Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.’ Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, ‘Lord, do not hold this sin against them.’ When he had said this, he died” (Luke 7:59-60).

Two things come to my mind today regarding this passage. First of all there is the fact that the Greek root of the work martyr is also the root for the English word witness. To witness to one’s faith, to affirm that which one believes, is to be willing to die for it. Stephen clearly was willing to die for the glory of God and at the end his prayer was not “help, save me!” but “receive my spirit.” On top of that Stephen was willing to face his death with no animosity against those who killed him nor against those who lacked the courage to stand with him. At least I think that’s how we can read this passage—if they weren’t for Stephen they were essential against him, and he was willing to forgive them all, even the believers who remained silent.

The truth is, even when it is safe for me to offer my testimony to the Lordship of Jesus I am not always willing to do so, and I certainly have never faced the possibility of death for what I believe. On top of that, I hold grudges for things far, far lest significant that what Stephen faced. But here is the good news for me and anyone else who falters in faith. Stephen’s witness to Jesus and his prayer of forgiveness echo though time in the pages of scripture until they touch our lives as well. “Forgive them,” Stephen asks God, and he is talking about you and me. “Forgive them when they do not give their all for you.” What a gracious gift to offer at one's death, one for which we should be very thankful.

Prayer: Lord, forgive us when we lack the courage to serve you faithfully and steadfastly, and help us to forgive others who have wronged us that your love may be visible in the world. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: