Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Jim:

1 Kings 17:1-24
Verse 24 says, “So the woman said to Elijah, ‘Now I know that you are a man of God, and that the word of the Lord in your mouth is truth.’” Elijah had just healed the son of the widow of Zarephath so the widow was saying, in effect, that Elijah’s actions (and God’s actions through him) let her know that he was who he claimed to be. Now, I don’t anticipate ever having the ability to perform miracles the way that Elijah did, but I know that my actions and the choices that I make say a lot about whether I believe or not, and tell others a lot about me and my faith. It reminds me of the song “They Will Know We Are Christians By Our Love”.

We will walk with each other we will walk hand in hand…
And together we’ll spread the news that God is in our land.
And they’ll know we are Christians by our love, by our love,
Yes they’ll know we are Christians by our love.

What are our actions saying about our faith? Are we helping others to know and to believe the good news of the gospel?

Philippians 2:1-11
I’ve got almost all of this section underlined in my Bible, but verse 4 spoke to me today, “Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others.” I’m reminded of the strategy that English soldiers used at the battle of Culloden to defeat Bonnie Prince Charlie’s highland Scots. Because of the way that the Scots held their shields and swords when they attacked it was necessary for each English soldier ignore the Scot who attacked him directly and instead to defend the man to his right. In other words, each soldier had to be responsible for another, and to trust that another would be responsible for him. The English strategy worked, by the way, and the Scots were decimated at Culloden. Fortunately most of us will never find ourselves in a pitched battle on the Scottish moor, but we all face challenges in our living. Part of being a community is caring for each other, standing with one another in those struggles, and trusting others to care for us.

Matthew 2:1-12
Verse 10 says, “When (the magi) saw that the star had stopped, they were overwhelmed with joy.” The idea of being overwhelmed with joy struck me this morning. I think it’s a great image: the foreign travelers and their entourage expressing great happiness to the confusion and bewilderment of Mary and Joseph, but to the amusement of the young child who giggles throughout the visit. The magi did not really understand, but they were showing happiness at finding God’s word alive and at work in the world. Do we? Or have we forgotten what great joy comes from knowing God through Jesus Christ? Have we become so accustomed to our religious practices that we hardly pay any attention?

No comments: