Monday, July 30, 2007

Providence and Hope

Jim:

Psalm 57
This Psalm is attributed to David during the time that he was hiding from Saul—stories that we’ve been reading recently in 1 Samuel. The verse that struck me today is the latter portion of verse 1, “…in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, until the destroying storms pass by.” I like the hope and optimism here, the recognition that the storms of life can be devastating, but that even the worst of them will eventually pass by and in the mean time God’s graciousness and mercy are like the protective wings of an eagle spread over her young providing shelter and the promise of a new day made bright with God’s love whether in this life or the next. As Paul wrote to the church in Rome, “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” (Romans 8:37)

2 Samuel 2:1-11
In keeping with the theme of David’s reliance upon God, verse 1 says, “After this David inquired of the Lord…” After all that David had been through and all that he had faced, he still relied on God for guidance, even in the matter of where to go now that Saul was dead. David literally asked God the question, “Shall I go up to any of the cities of Judah?” And God answered him. I know that all too often I fail to listen for God’s voice in my life. But I know, through hindsight, that God has been watching over me and leading me to opportunities and situations that met God’s will for my life. Personally, I need to spend more time inquiring of the Lord, and then responding with confidence and trust.

Acts 15:36-16:5
There were two things that stood out for me about this passage today. The first was the disagreement over who should accompany Paul and Barnabas on their next trip. This was a thoroughly worldly situation, just like the conflicts that so often plague the church today. Ultimately Paul and Barnabas went their separate ways, but out of these events came the second item to catch my eye, the introduction of Timothy into the scriptural account. God was able to use even conflict and tension to move the church ahead. In terms of Psalm 57, the destroying storm passed by and hope and optimism reappeared unbruised in the person of a young disciple.

No comments: