Friday, September 2, 2011

God Willing

James 4:13-5:6
Often when I share my plans or my expectations with others I will add the words, “God willing.” I know that some may think I’m being trite or even superstitious, but the truth is that I am expressing one of my core beliefs, that the future is in God’s hands and that I wish, by God’s grace and to the best of my ability, to do God’s will. I’m sure that’s why a phrase from the book of James jumped out at me today. “Instead you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wishes, we will live and do this or that’” (James 4:15).

Our God, who in my faith tradition is held to be Sovereign over all creation at all times and who is at work in and through that creation, has a say in what happens in my life and yours. That does not mean that we have no choice; indeed we have ample choice and make poor decisions as a result. (Sadly those poor decisions may impact others more than they do us.) But ultimately things will go according to God’s will. My poor decisions can not deter that. So when I say, “I’ll see you tomorrow, God willing,” I mean it. I will see you as long as that is what best coincides with God’s will as I understand it or unless God moves either of us in a different direction.

Prayer: Lord of all creation, may we each serve you today in faithfulness and joyful obedience, trusting our lives to your will. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

2 comments:

revtara said...

I have always loved how in Islam they say in'sha'allah... if God wills it... it has always reminded me that God is active in lives. insert anti-predestination banter here.. :)

Unknown said...

Nicely put, Tara! Thanks.