Monday, May 28, 2012

It's Not About People Pleasing

Galatians 1:1-17
What an astonishing claim Paul makes in his letter to the Galatians: “If I were still pleasing people, I would not be a servant of Christ” (Galatians 1:10c). As a minister I find these words incredibly challenging. Integral to my sense of call are my relationships with individuals. I want to get along with folks and I want folks to get along with each other. I want to build bridges and to knock down walls. I want the church to be one big group hug where everyone finds welcome and conflict is forgotten in the warmth of community. And because I want these things I too often find myself worried about what people think of me, whether or not they approve of my efforts. After all, it is congregation members who pay my salary. Shouldn’t they get what they pay for? Shouldn’t they be pleased with what I am doing?

Paul puts a stop to such foolishness. If the goal of the ministry is to please people then it is not really ministry. If all I have to offer others is what they think they want, or worse, what they already have, then I offer them nothing. It is only when I seek the will of God in Jesus Christ that I have something worthwhile to give. Jesus Christ is the corrective for my actions for in Jesus Christ I find the courage to say what needs to be said, to do what needs to be done, to offer what needs to be offered. When I seek to please people the ministry becomes a factor of my life, it becomes all about me. But when I am faithful to Jesus Christ the ministry ceases to be about me, about my opinions, about my need for approval.

Nor are Paul’s words for ministers alone. They are, in fact, a challenge for all people of faith. If the Christian community is to be truly obedient it must offer the world not what the world thinks it wants, or worse, what it already has. It must offer the truth of the gospel and the power of God’s grace with unflinching honesty. The survival of the church cannot be a function of making people happy. It must be about serving the one who came calling sinners into reconciliation with God. Let other entities worry about pleasing people. Our job is to live as servants of Jesus Christ.

Prayer: Lord, give us courage to live according to your will and not as others would have us do. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: