Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Good And The Bad

Josephine Fontaine

Lamentations 3:37-58
Psalm 43
When I first read the passage from Lamentations, I was struck by verse 38: "Is it not from the hand of the Most High that good and bad come?" (Lamentations 3:38). I certainly believe that all good comes from God, but I had never even considered that "bad" things also come from God, our God of love, and grace, kindness, and forgiveness.

And then I thought of the horrible death of Jesus that we remembered in our Good Friday services yesterday. Jesus' followers and many other Hebrews were well enough versed in Lamentations that they knew that God made the bad happen along with the good, and could only wonder at why it had to be this way.

But Sunday dawned and with it the resurrection of Jesus, which was the real beginning of his church. His appearance to his apostles and others of his followers, strengthened their faith and with the gift of the Holy Spirit they were empowered to go forth into the world and proclaim the good news of the gospel. What a miracle to the people of the western world!

And so my quandary about the verse in Lamentations became less important to me (although I'm inclined to believe that God makes good things happen, rather than bad). But then my mind is overwhelmed with things I don't understand and when I have doubts and my spirit seems to be at a low ebb, I repeat to myself one of my favorite Bible verses -- which just happens to be in Psalm 43 (Psalm 43:5, and also in Psalm 42:5 and 42:11) one of the psalms for today's reading. "Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him, my help and my God."

Prayer: Gracious and loving God, when I have doubts and wonder about things, help me to remember that you are my hope in all things. In the name of Jesus. Amen.

Jo Fontaine is a long-time member and elder of the Westover Hills Presbyterian Church of Little Rock, Arkansas. At age 93 she remains an inspiration to her friends and a thoughtful commentator on scripture.

No comments: