Saturday, February 25, 2012

On Being Content

The Rev. Dr. Debbie Carl Freeman

Philippians 4:10-20

“Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have” (Philippians 4:11).

Paul is thanking his readers for their care and concern for him. But verse 11 speaks volumes in our age of not only economic downturn but also of discontent and dissatisfaction with everything in life. What does it mean to be content with whatever I have?

Most of us have heard encouraging words about being content in times of trouble or of trusting in God’s will and wisdom in our lives. But how many of us have been encouraged to be content when we already have plenty? How many of us seek more? More food, more wealth, more happiness, more time…? How many of us are looking for something better? Better deals, better cars, better diets, better worship…?

How much easier it is for us to be content when we have little. There are fewer distractions, less clutter, and though perhaps a more difficult time making ends meet, an opportunity to trust God’s providence fully. How difficult it is to let go or even to be content when we have so much. We are bombarded with messages that we need more. And yet Paul’s message in verse 11 is as much about having more than we need as it is about having little, he says, “Not that I am referring to being in need; I have learned to be content with whatever I have.” Paul is encouraging Christians to trust that God will provide; that God will be a source of strength in times of plenty and joy as well as in times of want and sorrow. What a tremendous message for us to hear as we move through the season of Lent.

Prayer: Provident God, may I trust in your care for my life today, tomorrow and the next day. May I learn to be content with whatever I have, not just in times of need but especially in times of plenty. Through Jesus Christ I offer this prayer and my life. Amen.

Debbie Freeman is the interim pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Jacksonville, Arkansas. She has previously served congregations in Arkansas, Virginia, and Scotland. In March she will run her first half-marathon. She is also my wife.

No comments: