Monday, August 1, 2011

When Silence Is Golden

Psalm 62
Among the readings found in the Daily Lectionary are two Psalms for the morning and two for the evening. Today I was struck by the open verses of Psalm 62.

“For God alone my soul waits in silence;
from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress;
I shall never be shaken” (Psalm 62:1-2).

There are days when I like some noise in my life. I sometimes listen to music or watch TV even when I am doing something else. But there are other days when what I really need is silence, not so that I “can hear myself think,” as the expression goes, so that I can hear what is happening in my heart and soul, the places where God is so often active. Why listen for God? The psalmist makes it clear: God alone is our source of salvation and protection. On those occasions when we allow outside noise to invade our consciousness we may lose track of God’s presence. We may also find ourselves distracted, wandering after things of no importance at all instead of concentrating on what it is that God offers us or calls us to do. Prayer, too, can be hampered by too much noise, even our incessant jabbering to God. A full and meaningful prayer life requires some time to listen, to meditate, to quit talking and let God have a turn. Psalm 62 is a good way to remember the importance of quiet reflection. In fact, I would suggest adding verses 1 and 2 to any list of memorized scripture. At any time it is appropriate to wait for God, our “rock and salvation” in silence.

Prayer: Lord, silence the noise in our hearts and minds that we may hear you more clearly and follow you more faithfully. Amen.

No comments: