Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Completed Joy

John 17:12-19
Our reading from John includes a portion of what is called Jesus’ high priestly prayer. One of the petitions that Jesus offers on behalf of his disciples is that “they may have my joy made complete in themselves” (John 17:13). Two things strike me about this verse. The first is that Jesus refers to his joy. Here he is, on the cusp of his passion, about to suffer and die, and yet he speaks of his joy as a present reality. The second thing that strikes me is that Jesus wishes this same joy for his disciples in as full a measure as he himself possesses it.

On April 3, 1968 in Memphis, Tennessee, Martin Luther King delivered what would be his final sermon, what is now entitled “I’ve Been to the Mountaintop.” At it’s conclusion King makes a startling claim. “Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land! And so I’m happy tonight. I’m not worried about anything. I’m not fearing any man! Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!” This seems to me to be as close as one might come to Jesus’ prayer in John 17. Like Jesus, King speaks of his joy as a present reality. And like Jesus, King wishes that joy for the congregation that night.

I know that I spend far too much of my time in a fret about the future, about money, about relationships, about time, about hurt feelings. What I don’t spend very much time doing is feeling joy. If Jesus, who knew he was about to suffer and die, and Martin Luther King who may have had a premonition of his death (but who surely knew his life to be in danger) could speak of joy—well, I want some of what they’ve got. And the only way that is going to happen is when I turn my life over to God as fully as I can and I allow God to guide me in the steps that I take. That was Jesus’ joy. King, too, said that he just wanted “to do God’s will.” Now, today, at this moment, it is my turn. By God’s grace I will reach out in confidence that a deep joy awaits me regardless of what happens in my life. Come on, let’s go there together.

Prayer: Lord God, source of all joy, help us to live in obedience to you that our joy may be complete. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: