Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Whatever… (Wednesday of Holy Week)

Philippians 4:1-13
This may sound odd, but I’m coming to the opinion that belief in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior is not enough. Faith must MEAN something, must LEAD to something, must AMOUNT to something. I may have membership in a fitness club, but unless I actually show up and exercise it will do me no good. So the question is Where does my faith in Jesus Christ take me? Paul has some helpful words on the subject.

“Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things” (Philippians 4:8). Paul is speaking as a Christian, but obviously he believes there is more to it that saying lofty things about Jesus. Faith should lead us to truth, to honor, to justice, to purity, to that which does not displease others, that which is commendable, excellent, or worthy of praise. Frankly, focusing on any one of those is likely to take up my whole day, let alone striving for them all. But if my faith in Jesus does not challenge me then I am not paying attention.

At the half-way point of Holy Week it seems appropriate to pause and reflect on the events we are about to commemorate. Jesus offered his life for the sake of the world. If we are willing to put our faith in him, it should make some difference in who we are. If not we may as well believe in “whatever.”

Prayer: Lord, help us to use our faith as a guide to our living. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: