Friday, March 4, 2011

'Lord, Lord'

Deuteronomy 5:1-22
Matthew 7:13-21
Looking back on the years of my childhood I remember a number of things which, due to my upbringing, I assumed to be scandalous. Men with tattoos and women who colored their hair were two of the more notable cases. And there was a subset of misdeeds which seemed to fall under the heading of language. The n-word was absolutely taboo in our house. Saying “ain’t” wasn’t nearly so morally repugnant, but it was definitely something we didn’t do. And then there was “taking the Lord’s name in vain.” In my mind that generally meant saying the words “God” or “Lord” when you weren’t in church, weren’t praying, or weren’t actually talking about God or the Lord. Anything else was a scandal.

Now that I’m an adult—and a minister at that—I look at some things in a different way. I know so many men and women with tattoos, colored hair, or tattoos AND colored hair that I would be hard pressed to quit socializing with them all. The n-word is still absolutely taboo, and the word ain’t still grates on my ears, but I’ve come to a much better understanding of taking the Lord’s name in vain. As we’ve read today, “You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God…” (Deuteronomy 5:11). Clearly that is not just an in junction against muttering God’s name in anger, though that is part of it. There is also the whole matter of saying, “God wants you to do this” or “the Lord told me to do that” when it is simply not true. (You might as well say, “When God is looking for a new car God comes to XYZ Toyota. Remember folks, XYZ Toyota is the Lord’s choice in auto superstores!” As far as I know God does not endorse consumer products).

Matthew’s gospel offers what I think is a helpful example of what it means to make “wrongful use of the name of the Lord…”. There Jesus warns, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:21). In other words, God’s name is not a secrete password or a magical incantation against evil. Saying “Lord, Lord,” in and of itself accomplishes nothing. What we are called to do is move beyond the vanity of divine name dropping and instead embrace God’s will as vital to the welfare of the world.

Prayer: Almighty God may we live as your people and thereby give glory to your name. Amen.

No comments: