Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Community of Thankfulness

I Thessalonians 3:1-13

This time of year seems to highlight those places where community seems to thrive and those places where it does not. Community is a tremendous gift and something to be sought after. It provides care and nurture, regard and accountability to its members. Where there is no community, or where community has become fractured, there is no care, no regard, no accountability. With community men and women are allowed to flourish, without community we flounder. Of course no community is perfect, no relationship is without its faults. But by grace we do can find ourselves in meaningful relationship with others and are blessed by it.

It would seem that Paul considered his relationship with the Christians in Thessalonica to be a real blessing, a true community of faith despite the distance between them. He wrote, “How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy we feel before our God because of you” (1 Thessalonians 3:9)? These were people who had responded to Paul and who had supported his ministry among them. Now he was gaining strength from that relationship, simply knowing that they remained faithful, that they continued in their worship and praise of God.

There are a number of communities, relationships, connections in my life from which I gain strength and support. My family, my closest friends, my prayer group, members of the congregations I have served or am serving, those who respond encouragingly to this blog, and so many others, past or present, help to make me who I am. Had it not been for such folks I might not have come to know God in Jesus Christ, not come to recognize my call to the ministry, not been sustained through the challenges of my life. Like Paul I can not thank God enough for the joy I feel because of these relationships.

What relationships are you particularly thankful for today? Where is community most visible in your life? And where is it lacking or in need of repair? As we await the coming of Christ this Advent season perhaps we could give thanks to God for those around us, whether we consider them part of our community or not. And perhaps we could demonstrate God’s community more visibly in the world. Meanwhile, I can not thank God enough for all of you and the joy I feel because of you.

Prayer: O Lord, you have blessed us each with opportunities for community. Help us to live with love and regard for others, sustaining and supporting your people wherever we find them. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

1 comment:

Revnancy said...

Thankful today for you, too, Jim!