Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Do We Have God All Figured Out?

Job 6:1, 7:1-21
Acts 10:1-16
If you’re thinking
That I’m thinking
What you’re thinking,
Well I’m thinking
That it’s funny.

That’s a bit of song lyric I’ve been working on lately. While I never intended for it to have theological implications, it may, especially in light of our readings for today. I can hear God now, seated in the divine court, saying similar words to Peter and Job. “If you’re thinking that I’m thinking what you’re thinking…” Actually, Job himself seems to paraphrase Psalm 8, only in a negative sense. The Psalm says, “What are mortals that you care for them?” (Psalm 8:4). These words are spoken with wonder and awe. “Wow, God, thanks for noticing us! What an honor!” But Job turns it around. He says, “Let me alone (God), for my days are a breath. What are human beings, that you make so much of them…?” (Job 7:16-17). In other words, “God, leave me the heck alone.”

In the Acts passage Peter finds himself confronted with an array of foods that do not fit the Jewish dietary laws (Acts 10:13-16). “Get up, Peter, kill and eat” (v. 13) , says a voice. “No thanks,” says Peter. “I’ve never eaten unclean or profane food” (v. 14). To this the voice replies, “What God has made clean, you must not call profane” (v. 15).

Peter and Job may believe that they have God figured out to some extent. They don’t. Not in the least. As we are reminded in Isaiah 55:8, God’s thoughts are not our thoughts. Furthermore, it is dangerous to assume they are. Our lives may have meaning well beyond our understanding. Foods (and people, too) that were once considered unclean are actually creatures of God deserving of respect. Perhaps as God’s people we should work harder at opening our minds to what is possible by grace. Think about it.

Prayer: Lord, forgive us when we try to force our thoughts on you while ignoring your will for our lives. Amen.

No comments: