Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Faithful Living

Jim:

Lamentations 1:1-12
I preached from this passage not too long ago and in that sermon I mentioned how profound the sorrow must be if “The roads to Zion mourn, for no one comes to the festivals…” (verse 6a) It reminds me a bit of New Orleans in the months after Katrina when few tourists were willing to travel there. It also reminds me of the plight of the great cities of Europe during World War II, as devastated as they were by the war and the oppression of the Nazis. In Jerusalem’s case, of course, the circumstances are a direct result of unfaithfulness to God. Now, says the writer of Lamentations, the sorrow is so deep that even the paths that people once traveled grieve. The meaning is pretty clear: faithfulness to God leads to joy; unfaithfulness leads to sorrow.

Matthew 11:25-30
Jesus helps us to understand just what faithful obedience can mean. In verses 28-30 he says, “Come to me, all you that are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Faithlessness leads to sorrow and pain, to weariness and “heavy burdens”, but trust and faith in Jesus leads to rest and joy for our souls.

No comments: